Mount Penn man guilty of rape, jury decides

A 30-year-old Mount Penn man smiled faintly when he was found guilty Thursday in Berks County Court of raping and beating a 73-year-old borough woman in December 2008.

Samual G. Thompson was convicted of rape, aggravated indecent sexual assault and related charges. He was acquitted of one count of aggravated assault.

Reading Eagle: Jeremy Drey
Samual G. Thompson of Mount Penn, convicted of raping a 73-year-old woman, is returned to the cellblock Thursday following the verdict.

The victim, whose name is being withheld by the Reading Eagle, looked relieved when the jury foreman read the verdict at 5:30 p.m.

"Praise the Lord," an 81-year-old friend of the victim said after the verdict was announced. "Justice has been served. Everyone is happy. We have tears in our eyes."

The friend and his wife, both of Reading, said it was difficult to wait 51/2 hours for the verdict.

"We really had to sweat it out," the friend said.

The Reading Eagle also is withholding the friend's name.

Judge Stephen B. Lieberman revoked bail. He said Thompson faces a sentence of 50 to 60 years in state prison.

"The defendant has a lack of remorse," he said. "The defendant is a liar and poses a danger to the community."

Lieberman ordered that Thompson undergo an evaluation as required under the state's Megan's Law to determine if he is a violent sexual predator. Sentencing was scheduled for June.

During the trial, Thompson maintained his innocence, saying he was home during the rape in the early morning hours of Dec. 7, 2008. The victim is now 74.

First Assistant District Attorney M. Theresa Johnson provided DNA evidence linking Thompson to the rape.

State police forensic witnesses testified that Thompson's DNA was found near the victim's groin.

They said that his DNA and the victim's were also found on Thompson's condom.

Thompson's attorney, Robert J. Kirwan of Exeter Township, argued that the evidence was tainted and another person was possibly involved.

The victim testified Tuesday that she was beaten and raped in the bedroom of her home on Butter Lane.

She said she told the man who raped her that she and God would forgive him.

The frail, 5-foot-tall woman spent five days in Reading Hospital recovering from facial and arm bruises.

Thompson testified that he had sex with his wife several hours before the rape was reported.

He said he was out with friends and then went home to bed at 3 a.m.

Police testified that an Exeter Township police dog tracked the scent of footprints in the snow from the woman's house to Thompson's residence in the 2600 block of Cumberland Avenue.

Kirwan said he would appeal the verdict.

Contact Holly Herman: 610-478-6291 or

No comments: