Three juvenile boys arrested in armed robbery at Sikeston Sonic

Sunday, February 21, 2010
Standard Democrat

SIKESTON, Mo. -- Charges were filed Saturday in connection with a Friday night robbery at a fast food restaurant in Sikeston in which a gun was also used.

Cleveland Roberson, 17, and Traversial Scott, 17, both of Sikeston, were charged with first-degree robbery and armed criminal action. They are being held at the Scott County jail on $100,000 cash or surety.

A 16-year-old from Sikeston was also arrested in connection with the robbery. Authorities will not release the name because of his juvenile status. He is in custody at Mississippi County Juvenile Detention Center.

Around 10:15 p.m. Friday, officers with the Sikeston Department of Public Safety were alerted to a robbery at the Sonic Drive-In, 216 N. Main St. in Sikeston, said Sgt. Jim McMillen, public information officer. The victims reported three teenage males entered the business and demanded cash and that one of the boys was armed with a handgun.

"When the workers handed over the money, the thieves ran east from the area," McMillen said.

Officers, assisted by a Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper and Scott County deputy, were called to the scene along with Sikeston's police dog and handler. The dog immediately began tracking the scent of the offenders. The Scott County deputy located three teenagers on East Kathleen Street matching the descriptions. The police dog continued tracking the scent until he also arrived on the scene where the three subjects were detained.

The Department of Public Safety Criminal Investigative Unit had already begun its investigation, McMillen said. A witness was brought to Kathleen Street to view the suspects. Detectives were able to arrest the three from their preliminary investigation and took them into custody.

An officer found a large amount of cash near the area where the three subjects were standing. During a follow-up investigation at the homes of the teens, detectives turned up other evidence from the robbery.

McMillen said all involved did "excellent work" in the investigation, which was wrapped up in about an hour.

No comments: