COLD CASE: What happened to Anne Clark in 2002?

By Laura Rillos KVAL News

PLEASANT HILL, Ore. -- It's been seven years since Anne Clark disappeared, but neighbors still remember the search for the 41-year-old woman.

A man, who did not want to give his name or appear on camera, recalled seeing "cadaver dogs" search the backyard of the home Clarke lived in with her boyfriend and her 14-year-old daughter.

The dogs didn't find anything. That's a common theme in the search for Clark, a mother of two, who seemingly disappeared without a trace.

Investigators believe Clark has been killed -- and there's no chance she's living somewhere else in Oregon or the United States.

"No, she would have contacted her daughter, she would have picked up her checks," said Kurt Wuest, a volunteer investigator with the Lane County Sheriff's Office. "There's no logical explanation other than the fact foul play was involved."

Clark's disappearance was reported on Sept. 20, 2002 -- nine days after she was last seen.

According to detectives, friends said it was not uncommon for her to leave the home for a day or two after fights with her boyfriend.

According to Wuest, Clark's car was left behind or, if she did drive it somewhere, the vehicle was returned to the home. She also left her clothes and personal effects behind. Her boyfriend later told investigators Clark had returned to take her things, but had not seen her. That story is unconfirmed, according to Wuest.

"We suspect foul play was involved and most likely someone associated with her was likely involved," said Wuest. When asked if Clark's boyfriend was considered, he said, "He's obviously a person of interest."

According to Wuest and Lane County detective Randall Fenley (at right), Clark had filed a police report alleging domestic violence against her boyfriend. However, he has never been arrested or named a suspect in her disappearance.

But with no crime scene to process, the investigation met a dead end.

Wuest had hoped for a break a few years ago, when a car belonging to an acquaintance came up for auction. They purchased the car and had the interior taken out to search for evidence.

Something was found but "not that we can talk about," said Wuest.

Whatever they found, it's not enough to make an arrest or lead to a conviction.

Wuest and Fenley would like to speak with anyone who knew Clark, her boyfriend or any acquaintance. You can reach them at (541) 682-4311.

At the time of her disappearance, Clark sometimes used her maiden name "Magnuson" or the last name "Ellingsworth."

No comments: