Body found at marina

A missing Sandusky man has been found dead floating in the waters of the Venetian Marina, wearing the same clothing as when he was last seen the evening of Oct. 10.

Co-workersof Dwayne Merva found his body Monday morning at the Venetian Marina.

The marina's general manager called 911 at 8:20 a.m.

"Good morning. This is Dick Henry at the Venetian Marina," the manager said in a calm voice. "We found our missing employee. He's in the water."

Sandusky police Sgt. Det. John Orzech said there was no preliminary evidence to indicate a cause of death.

Erie County coroner Dr. Brian Baxter said he hadn't yet examined Merva's body.

He said they plan to move him out of the David F. Koch Funeral Home to the Lucas County Coroner for a forensic autopsy as soon as possible.

Merva, 49, worked at the marina for 11 years and was a yard manager.

Employees became concerned when he did not show up for work Oct. 12. He was reported missing that day by his brother, Greg Merva, and his friend, Danny Goins. Merva's truck was at the marina, his keys on the boat.

Fire Chief Mike Meinzer said co-workers spotted Merva's body floating in the water between the B and C boat docks.

The B dock, where Merva's boat was located, was the area where cadaver dogs showed interest during the department's fourth search last week, Meinzer said.

He said Merva was still wearing the Carhartt jacket, jeans, and tennis shoes he wore the last time his friends saw him.

Goins said Merva was last seen Oct. 10 at Louie's Tavern, where he had a beer and a shot.

He used a gate code at 1:47 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 11 to enter the marina. He told Goins earlier that evening he was going to Lyman Harbor and planned to stay on the boat.

Greg Merva received the phone call at about 10:15 Monday morning from Sandusky police, who told him his brother's body had been found.

He said he started calling family members, asking them to be with his mother and father when he told them.

John Hoty, president of Hoty Enterprises, said the employees are shaken up. He said the last two weeks have been long because no one knew what happened to Merva.

"It's broken everyone's heart, but the employees wanted to work," Hoty said. "We're sorry to the (Merva) family for their loss."

In an e-mailed statement from Kula Hoty Lynch, lawyer for Hoty Enterprises, the company asked for privacy at a time of loss.

Adam Nemitz, who worked with Merva for six years at Marco's Pizza, where Merva held a second job, said the news came as a shock.

"It took a second to process," Nemitz said. "In the back of our minds, we knew. He wasn't the type to not show up for work. Now I want to know why, what happened?"

No comments: