Suspect charged in grisly killing

The man who police say killed and dismembered his live-in girlfriend didn't speak in court yesterday. He shuffled in and kept his head down.
"He's ashamed to look at us," said William K. Bell, the victim's long-estranged husband.
The suspect, Robert Knight, 50, shuffled back out a few minutes later. Judge Michael T. Brandt of Franklin County Municipal Court set Knight's bail at $2 million on a single count of murder.
Evidence is now expected to be presented to a grand jury. Knight is being held in the Franklin County jail.
Yesterday, cadaver dogs continued their work at the West Bay Apartments complex on the West Side, searching for whatever was left of Tracey F. Moore, 44.
Police found her head and arms in Knight's freezer on Wednesday night, after an assistant manager from the apartment complex called 911 because other employees had discovered human remains scattered on the grounds.
The dogs found a few more small remains yesterday morning in adjoining woods, said Columbus homicide detective Jim Day. Rain on Thursday night had lessened the scent of the remains that already had been removed, making the job a little easier for the dogs.
Divers continued to look in the pond at the center of the apartment complex, although Day said he believed "90-something percent" of Moore's remains had been recovered.
"The rest of this has just been trying to do the right thing," Day said.
Franklin County Coroner Jan Gorniak said the autopsy likely will start after police finish their search. Police said last night that the search would resume this morning. Day said he didn't expect to find remains anywhere outside the complex because Knight didn't own or have access to a vehicle.
Yesterday, Moore's estranged husband and a number of their children showed up to see Knight in court.
Afterward, Bell, 54, talked about his wife but said their children were too upset for interviews.
He said Moore moved to Columbus from Chicago when she was 2 or 3 and lived on the East Side.
He said he and Moore had been married for 13 years and had nine children, but they had not lived together much of that time. One child, Tiffany Moore, died in 1993 at age 6 after being struck by a car.
The others range in age from 14 to 26, he said.
About four years ago, Moore met Knight and moved in with him, Bell said. She stayed with Knight off and on even though he physically abused her, including stabbing her several different times and stealing from her, Bell said.
"She just kept going back," he said.
Bell said he last saw his wife about nine months ago, and she looked as if she was doing fairly well.
"She had her demons she was fighting," he said, including drug abuse. "But each year, she was doing better."
Knight has served at least three prison terms in Ohio, for breaking and entering; aggravated robbery; and felonious assault and kidnapping. He was last paroled Nov. 1, 2005.

No comments: